Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Me and the Bee

As I sit here at my desk, trying to force myself to write, I glance at the window and see a bee buzzing at my window. It’s one of the reasons I love having a window in front of my desk. I can watch the sparrows and hummingbirds (and the occasional grasshopper) living their lives outside my window. It can put me in a good headspace for writing, when it’s not distracting me from my writing. 

I watched the little bee buzzing up against my window and it suddenly hits me…is he trying to get in or trying to get out? After watching him for a few seconds, I am able to determine that he is, in fact, inside my room trying to get out. This vexes me. 

Now don’t get me wrong; I don’t hate bees. I wish this little buzzer no harm. I just don’t want the little guy to sting me. I have allergies and tend to swell up quite a bit when stung. Also, I know that stinging me will most likely kill him, and I don’t want that. It’s best for both of us if he doesn’t sting me. 

I have been trying to gently guide him out to the living room so that he can exit the open front door that I assume was his point of ingress. He just ignores me and returns to the window, trying in vain to go through the glass out into the sunlight that he can see out there. Every now and then he turns away from the window and comes toward me, causing me to bob and weave like Muhammad Ali. Each time I hope he’ll continue on out of my room and back out the front door.

It seems I’ll be getting no writing done today. That’s okay. As distractions go, this one has been more interesting than most. I actually don’t mind. Part of me would be all right with sharing space with the little guy…with some boundaries, of course. He doesn’t take up much room, and makes almost no noise. I think I would be more annoying to him than he would to me. I can live with it if he can. 

Wait. Where did he go? I can’t see him anymore. Did he find a gap in the window that allowed him to escape? Did he get past me at some point and head out the front door? Did he get tired and decide to land somewhere to get some rest before resuming his quest to return to the outside world? I hope he’s okay. I hope he lives a long and productive life. I’m gonna miss the little buzzer.

No comments:

Post a Comment