Wednesday, October 18, 2017

My Top 5: Tragically Hip Songs

I was saddened by the loss of Tom Petty a couple of weeks ago. I loved a lot of his music, had owned a couple of his albums, and watched many of his videos, and loved listening to and singing (and playing) many of his songs.  

This morning I awoke to the news of Gord Downie's passing. I wasn't shocked, because we had heard of his brain cancer diagnosis months ago. In a way, we've already grieved for Gord when we wept at the band's final live performance in Kingston, Ontario. While remaining hopeful, many of us had prepared for the inevitable.  

Still, it hurts. Knowing he's gone hurts. I guess we can take comfort in the fact that he's no longer in pain. I'm a man of faith so I believe that he's in a better place now. I think my sadness is not so much for him, but selfishly for me because I know now that there will be no more Tragically Hip music. And that is heartbreaking. 

I first became acquainted with the Tragically Hip when I began working in Hockey. There is probably not a Hockey locker room anywhere that hasn't echoed with the sound of the Hip. They were the unofficial house band for Canada, and for all Canadian Hockey players. But you didn't have to be Canadian to appreciate their music. I'm not Canadian, but I can relate to the Tragically Hip. Their music is not just about Canada, but about the common man...and that's something most of us can relate to.  

But above that, the music is beautiful. It's wonderful music played by great musicians. It carries a good and powerful message, but it's still entertaining and pleasing to the ear. That's not easy to do, but Gord and the Hip did it better than most. 
We will miss Gord not only for his music, but for the amazing person that he was. But I've been listening to his music all morning, and trying to figure out my Top 5 list of Tragically Hip songs. It's very difficult, but I'll give it a shot. This is for you, Gord. Rest in Peace. 

  1. 1. Grace, Too: 

  1. 2. Ahead by a Century:  

  1. 3. Wheat Kings: 

  1. 4. Fifty Mission Cap: 

  2. 5. Blow at High Dough: 

So, there is my Top 5 List. What is yours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment