Thursday, October 15, 2009

Training Camp - Day 4


Well, another day has passed in the Cottonmouths' training camp. We finally got our first look at goaltender Steve Bounds today. He was brought here to be our backup goalie to Chad Rycroft, but was loaned out to Coach Jared Bednar and the South Carolina Stingrays to fill out their roster until another goalie got sent down. Now he's finally here in Columbus, and with the return of Ian Vigier that gives us 3 goalies in camp. Bounds looked pretty good, from what I saw of him. I'm glad he made it here in time for the exhibition games, because otherwise Jerome's tough decision in goal would have been made even tougher. I mean, how do you judge somebody's abilities when you don't have the chance to see them in game action? You can't. So now we've got a real, live goalie competition...and it's shaping up to be a good one. Each of the 3 looks pretty good. I think whichever 2 we keep will be great for us this year. Again, I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make that decision.


In front of the crease, there looks to be a pretty good battle for the last few roster spots. I think there's 3 guys battling it out for the last 2 spots on defense and maybe 5 guys battling for the last 3 spots up front. It's going to come down to who performs in the preseason games to determine who stays and who goes. It should make for an interesting weekend. We have the Huntsville Havoc, coached by former Snake Randy Murphy, coming in tomorrow night and then hosting the Cottonmouths in Huntsville Saturday night. Then, after a well-deserved Sunday off, preparations will begin for the season opener next Friday night. I can't wait!


But then...that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment